Search This Blog

Monday, 2 December 2013

"Bailiff Set To Leave Office Before The COI Ends"

Jersey's Bailiff to retire




Jersey's Bailiff, Sir Michael Birt will retire in January 2015. 

Sir Michael, will step down on January 24th aged 66. 

On his retirement, he said: "I have been honoured to serve the Island and its community as Bailiff and will continue to do so to the best of my ability until the date of my retirement. 

"I have had the privilege of meeting and working with a great many people during my term of office who have extended many kindnesses and provided much support in all of my roles. 

"It has also been immensely rewarding to have had the opportunity of meeting, in my civic role, so many people undertaking voluntary or charitable work for the benefit of the community. 

"This remains such a strong feature of Island life."

The announcement was made today in the States by the Deputy Bailiff, William Bailhache, in the absence of the Bailiff who is out of the Island. 

The announcement, which included a statement by the Bailiff, was in the following terms:

"I wanted States members to be among the first to know that Her Majesty The Queen has approved my request to be permitted to retire from the office of Bailiff on 24th January 2015. 

"By then I shall have completed five and a half years as Bailiff and some 21 years of public service. 

"I have decided this will be a good time to make way for a successor following the formation of a new States Assembly at the end of 2014. 

"While I am sure there will be opportunities for messages of farewell nearer the time – not least because I am afraid you will be seeing me in this chair for another 12 months - I should like to take this opportunity to say that I regard the presiding officer’s role in the States as an important one which I have endeavoured to fulfil to the best of my ability. I have much valued the support and friendship of members during my term of office."

He served as Deputy Bailiff of Jersey from February 2000 until July 2009. He was sworn in as Bailiff of Jersey on 9th July 2009. 

No comments:

Post a Comment