Search This Blog

Wednesday, 6 June 2012

"Honouring The Worthy"

Veterans remember D-Day



World War II veterans in Jersey marked the 68th anniversary of D-Day.

It was a turning point in the conflict - the date when the allies began the liberation of Nazi Europe.

Wreaths were laid at the cenotaph, members of the Jersey Normandy Veterans Association, led by President Clive Kemp, gathered in their annual ceremony to remember comrades who fell on D-Day and the ensuing battle for Normandy.

The event was organised by the Constable of St Helier Simon Crowcroft.

Constable Crowcroft said: "Despite the advancing years it is vitally important we continue to honour the memory of those who fought and died in the liberation of Europe more than 65 years ago.
"I am delighted that the Parish can help Mr Kemp and his members on this special occasion and I would urge members of the public to attend and show their support."


Scottish:
Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun
Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun

When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid

Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears

Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me

Nair mair shall a see the sun
For a fell tae a Germans gun

Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun
Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun


English:
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone

When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground I'll not be afraid

Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears

Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me

Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a German's gun

Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Where before many more have gone


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-18337575 

3 comments:

  1. What would those who sacrificed think of the greedy corruption of the political process, I ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed that those noble old guys would deem it an honour to be patronized by one with no moral compass.....old school I guess...and maybe need to believe that the establishment is in fact 'proper' it's what they fought for ...and what they got was the exact opposite....shysters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, you summed that up beautifully :)

      Delete